Why is it in Winter that we often feel run down, low energy and seem to always get sick???!!! There is actually no evidence that suggests that the temperature during the winter months is a cause for making you sick! But it does seem to happen.. The nasty bugs, colds, flu's seem to travel around attacking anyone in their way! Perhaps its because we all don't get out enough & we are missing the sun shine which provides us with our Vitamin D fix, fresh purifying air and have switched our active lifestyle for hibernation! Our immune systems seem to fade and once one of us catches one of those dreaded bugs it is passed on quickly. Here are some tips on how to boost your Immune system In the Winter months and combat those nasty bugs that travel around!!!
- Keep active! Don't hibernate to much... Lazing around in your trackies and Ugg boots can be fun for a while but doing to much of this is just likely to spoil your motivation even further. Keeping the body and mind healthy and alert through physical activity will help you stay strong and fit. If you do catch a cold your good health and fitness will help you recover more quickly!
- Soak up some vitamin D! Get out side in the middle of the day and catch some rays in the Winter Sun. When UVB rays hit your skin they react to the oils in your skin to produce vitamin D. You can also get small amounts of Vitamin D through foods such as Salmon and other fatty fish, egg yolks and organ meat.
- Prioritise Probiotics! By creating a healthy gut flora you help protect your body against pathogens and sickness.
- Daily Omega 3 fatty acids such as Krill or Fish oil - these have great anti inflammatory properties.
- Get into the Garlic! Garlic has been used for thousands of years to help boost immune systems. Extensive studies have been conducted that prove its assistance in doing this.
- Keen on Kombucha Tea??? Kombucha Tea contains probiotic properties that assist in defending off pathogens from certain things that you ingest.
- Warn up with Green Tea or Chamomile Tea. These are both loaded with powerful antioxidants!!!
- Say No to processed food! The added chemicals can cause inflammation and prohibit healthy gut flora which lowers your immune system.
- Increase your vitamin C intake with foods such as citrus fruits, kiwi fruit, strawberry's, broccoli, cabbage and parsley.
- Zinc is important in maintaining a healthy immune system. You can get a zinc fix through foods such as red meat, chicken, fish, dairy, eggs, legumes, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Spirulina is made from a sea algae rich in iron and selenium which is a powerful antioxidant and immune booster.
- Cook with Tumeric! This spice has fantastic anti inflammatory, anti bacterial and anti viral properties.
- Add a little Nutmeg to your smoothies or meals. Nutmeg contains magnesium, potassium and zinc. All which are important minerals that aid in supporting a healthy immune system.
- Go Ginger crazy in your fresh juices, cooking or snacks! Ginger contains gingeral which has anti inflammatory properties.Great for your gut!
- Sleep!!! try to get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep a night to rejuvenate, rest, repair and replenish your body and mind!
- Go out and enjoy life!!! Endorphins do wonders for your health both physically and mentally! A strong mind leads to a strong body which leads to a strong immune system!!!
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: activelife, activewear, exercise, Featured, fitblog, Fitness, fitnessblogger, foodie, harmonyinspired, harmonyinspiredactivewear, health, healthblog, immune, Inspiration, Lifestyle, lifystyle, naturalmedicine, sportswear, winter, yoga