Generally the first thing the mind thinks of when the organ “LIVER” is mentioned – is DETOX. And alcohol. Not necessarily in that order. But perhaps the two most common word collaborations that spring to mind. And yes – our liver does detoxify the body, purify the blood & remove toxins, (such as alcohol & drugs) from our system. And it functions this way naturally. What we potentially forget – is the numerous other health benefits we achieve from simply nourishing our liver:
- Hormone regulation
- Improve digestive function
- Better energy levels
- Stronger immunity
- Clearer skin & eyes
- Cleaner tongue
- Clearer mind
- Happier mood
- Fewer allergies
JUST TO NAME A FEW.
In clinical practice, almost every client that walks through the door, is surely in need of some liver loven. But this is not because they are alcoholic, drug addicts. In fact, not at all. This is merely because our liver is not designed to be able to cope with the amounts of stress we put our bodies under in this everyday life. Yes – our liver supports the body during our “normal” everyday duties. Support the body during the occasional pharmaceutical medicine use. Some alcohol here and there. Maybe even some naughty, fatty food too. But under no circumstances were our livers supposed to be cleaning up excessive levels of… let me clear my throat while I prepare my list…
- PROCESSED FOOD
- MSG (this has multiple names… yeast extract / hydrolysed vegetable extract etc…)
- PASTIC (what are you drinking out of)
- ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS (i.e. aspartame)
- SOFT DRINKS
- NSAID USE (daily, for long periods of time)
- CAR FUMES (yours & other cars in front of you)
- TOPICAL CHEMICAL USE (perfumes, fake tan, bleach etc)
- AMALGAM FILLINGS (high levels of silver, mercury etc)
- ANTI CAKING AGENTS (check package food labels)
- PRESERVATIVES (package food)
- CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS / PESTICIDES (yes these are present on our non organic produce)
- DIET / FAT FREE PRODUCT
Just to name a few..
If you are consuming / inhaling one or more of these substances daily then perhaps it’s time to to become more mindful of how you are feeling and whether or not you are loving your liver as much as you could be. This does not mean you need to waltz into your GP’s office immediately demanding a liver transplant.. Nor does it mean you should read this blog, then feel riddled with guilt for your past “naughty moments”. But moreso, to encourage some of you to consult yourself, your body and ask: am I giving my body enough of what it needs to maintain its daily duties as my temple?!
If you are feeling sluggish, bloated, foggy, suffer headaches, nausea, get sick often, feel pissed off and angry / frustrated, then potentially your liver needs you more than you need your liver at this point. Emotionally, when our liver meridian is imbalanced we become uneven, erratic, inflamed & impulsive. Our liver is the General of the Army.
A few simple tips on – HOW TO LOVE YOUR LIVER EVERYDAY:
- Drink plenty of filtered water
- Take apple cider vinegar – 10-20ml daily (in water & sip – Braggs brand is ideal the best)
- Drink Dandelion tea (anytime throughout the day, if you have more than 1-2 coffees daily, this is a nice substitute)
- Take Silymarin (comes in tablet form, capsule form, tea or liquid herbal*)
- Avoid artificial sweeteners (for example; aspartame) or added sugar (product that contains “sugar” as an ingredient).
- Eat plenty of cruciferous veg; broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts etc.
- Eat plenty of fibrous, leafy greens; dandelion greens, rocket, spinach etc.
- Eat plenty of liver cleansing vegetables; beetroot, carrot, turmeric, ginger etc.
- Garlic & onion contain sulphur which enhances your liver detoxifying pathways – if these ingredients make you feel sick or “yucky” chances are or could have an issue with sulphur (meaning potentially you aren’t detoxifying properly – for more information, make an enquiry)
- Avoid processed food – look at the ingredients panel of packaged food if you’re buying it – if it contains sugar, preservatives or names you’re unsure of – chances are, it’s not good for you!
- Avoid habitual alcohol consumption (drink socially / on occasions).
- Move your body – exercise everyday: even if for just 20mins. Yin/ Yang Yoga are ideal!
Review your cosmedics – If you’re finding you’re loading up on numerous toxins everyday, begin to taper it down a bit:
- Do you need to wear fragrant moisturizer everyday? Or could you just use coconut oil?
- Do you need to wear perfume? Or could you use essential oils instead?
- What ways could you reduce your toxic load in general?
- What cleaning products are you inhaling?
*Consult your naturopath or nutritionist in order to obtain the ideal dose you should be on for your condition or state of health.
*If you are on any medications do not take Silymarin at the same time – separate by at least 2-6 hours (depending on the medication including the pill).
Other super crazy things you can really want to be BFFs with your liver:
- Saunas every day 10-20mins
- Acupunture – your acupuncturist will know what to do!
- Coffee enemas
- Colonic hydrotherapy
Written By Lyndal Benadretti
We were honored to have Lyndal come and share her knowledge with us via a live interview (which can be seen on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/harmony.inspired.activewear) the other day.
You can read more of Lyndal's blogs via her website
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: activelife, activewear, aokyoga, blogger, collaborate, detox, diet, dietician, eat clean, eatlean, exercise, family, fit food, fitmum, Fitness, Fitness blogger, Food Blogger, foodie, gold coast, gratitude, guthealth, happiness, harmony inspired activewear, harmonyinspired, health, healthblog, healthy, healthy kids, immune, immune system, immunesystem, Inspiration, Lifestyle, lifestyle blogger, lifystyle, liver, liver detox, liver health, natural medicine, naturalmedicine, nutrition, nutritionist, nutrotional suppliments, personaltrainer, strength, suppliments, toning, vegetables, weightloss, workout, yoga, yogi